My heart aches today. Just received word from your mom that the teenage son of dear family friends died today. The details are not important. What is important to recognize, however, is that this life is fleeting. I'm approaching midlife statistically (if I'm not there already), but am not guaranteed even another breath. People all around me die every day, some famous, some not. All headed to the same endpoint of this life - death and the judgment (Hebrews 9:27).
Life here is tragic. Life hereafter doesn't have to be. To keep this simple, I just want to say don't ever settle for what little a worldly life here can offer. We are all immortal. Our existence here is but a blip on the eternal "timeline". How we spend the rest of our eternal lives is incomparably more important than the time spent here.
Secure your eternal destiny by placing your life, your hope, your trust in the hands of Jesus. You may end up listening to me or not, but that is the wisdom I would lovingly impart to you, my sons, with my whole heart. One of my greatest desires is to share that abundant life Jesus promised, glorified, fulfilled and satisfied, joyful and at peace in God's presence, forever - with you.
I love you,
Dad