I'm lying on the couch with a bad cold this morning - this glorious Christmas morning. Couldn't sleep due to my symptoms, so I rose early to spend some time with God. Have been watching videos of Pastor John Piper expound on the idea of "Christian hedonism" - that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. Please find time to read his book or watch him preach on this topic - it will bless your life immensely. I may have written on this concept on here already. No problem - emphasis is a good thing!
I want so much for you, my sons, to know the same joy I have found in God, through an intimate relationship restored by the work of Jesus. These writings are all in vain if I only encourage you to seek worldly pleasures in this life. However, there are innumerable pleasures that, when we realize that they were graciously given to us by God, bring him glory when we delight in them.
Piper mentioned that the fruit of a joyous heart, delighting in God, is love. Not merely obedient servitude, but fervent, heart-felt, emotional love - sincerely wanting the very best for others, indeed God's best. So, the quick lesson for today before I enjoy a celebratory morning with you both is this: Your ability to love effectively (the horizontal relationships) is proportionally dependent on your satisfaction/contentment with God (the vertical relationship). Seek God's glory in every experience you can, requesting that you may find it and be enraptured by it! Thereby you can find contentment (joy/peace) in this life, and the love that you share throughout will leave a glorious legacy.
I love you boys so, so much - chiefly because I see God's glory in you so easily.
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.