I was on my drive to work yesterday, enjoying some prayer and meditation time, and a song came on which never fails to bring back memories - "The Way of Wisdom" by Michael Card, from an album by the same name he recorded to reflect themes from the wisdom literature in the bible (Ecclesiastes, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, etc).
I was first introduced to this song back in the early 90's, when my brother liked to play it often in the car while our family drove around town in Virginia. I guess that's one of the reasons I like it so much. Brings back warm memories of family.
I had to pause and give some thought to one of the lines this time around.
"...the path to peace is forgiving"
How true that is. Our peace is interrupted daily by the actions of sinful people like ourselves. Regardless of whether there was actually any malicious intent, our selfish impulse is to cry foul and hold bitterness against them - be it anything from a hurtful word to simply getting cut off in traffic.
We can't help or escape living among others (and continue to follow God's prescriptive will for us, anyway), and those infractions will come at us ceaselessly. We can't control them, but we CAN control ourselves and our response. Forgiveness can bring that peace back. Bitterness keeps it at bay for as long as we entertain those feelings.
Do you want a peaceful existence? Learn to forgive quickly and often. Perhaps a quick prayer for yourself or the offending party is all it may take to stifle the urge to dwell in unsettled misery. Focus on Jesus in those instances and you'll find your peace restored.
I love you boys!
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.